I decided to be happy because it's good for my health (Voltaire, France, 1767)
Django Reinhardt -I'll See You In My Dreams
This is the quotation that I like the most. Quoted by Voltaire, French philosopher and writer. There are many great quotations in America, but as there are a bit too many, it's hard to choose one among them.
Last January, I went to Paris after I've been away for four months. While I was living in Paris, I always knew I’d miss Paris whenever I'll be away from it, and I was totally right. I began to regret deeply without saying anything to anyone, 'zut, j'aurais pas dû partir...' I have everything here, EVERYTHING.
During two weeks, I was busy with meeting my lawyer, accountant, tax, retirement, social security, and appointments with bank. I felt vividly alive doing the stuff that I used to do everyday. One afternoon, luckily, I had a few hours free from work. So, I decided to go walk by the Seine. It was one of my favorite spot during my fifteen years in Paris. One of the reasons I love to go there was I can go there alone whenever I want, and usually it was even better to go there alone. Watching people by the Seine was a real pleasure: lovers, painters, tourists, and jazz players make the place unique and special. Listening music and reading new book near the river used to be a luxury habit for me in the middle of the busy day.
I wanted to memorize the place in detail, so I looked around and see everything around it carefully. It was unusual for me to hang around streets in Paris without hurrying or having any plan; I had to rush all the time. It was a little strange in a way that I felt like I was strolling in Paris like a tourist!
Then window displays of a papiterie in Île Saint-Louis stopped me. There was a white cotton bag that has a quotation on it, “J'ai décidé d'être heureux parce que c'est bon pour la santé. Voltaire”
Quoi? C’est vrai mais… Huh, that’s...right. I liked it. It struck me right away. I stayed there for a while watching the bag, and reading the quotation again and again. How curious it was that I haven’t seen the quotation before, even though I lived in France for a quite long time! I stepped into the shop by curiosity.
The tiny shop actually had many gadgets, which were all about writing: pen, diary, hand made note book, letter shit, post card and some authentic gift items for tourist. A late middle-aged owner welcomed me with warm smile behind his computer. The delicate scent of papers and warmhearted atmosphere activated my impulsive buying. OK, this is the place. I gave myself a reason that I needed to buy some gifts to my new acquaintances in New York anyway. It made sense. There, as a perfect tourist, I began to pick out Eiffel Tower key holders, Little Prince pens, diaries, stickers, and trinkets, which I’ve never paid attention while I was living in Paris. I went through my roommate, classmates, teachers, neighbors. I took a couple more pad of papers and bookmarks for those who know me went to Paris. I tried to recall everyone, and guessed what should I buy to make them happy.
The tiny shop actually had many gadgets, which were all about writing: pen, diary, hand made note book, letter shit, post card and some authentic gift items for tourist. A late middle-aged owner welcomed me with warm smile behind his computer. The delicate scent of papers and warmhearted atmosphere activated my impulsive buying. OK, this is the place. I gave myself a reason that I needed to buy some gifts to my new acquaintances in New York anyway. It made sense. There, as a perfect tourist, I began to pick out Eiffel Tower key holders, Little Prince pens, diaries, stickers, and trinkets, which I’ve never paid attention while I was living in Paris. I went through my roommate, classmates, teachers, neighbors. I took a couple more pad of papers and bookmarks for those who know me went to Paris. I tried to recall everyone, and guessed what should I buy to make them happy.
Thinking about the new friends and choosing trinkets made me smile. They've listened to me whenever I needed to talk, helped me to clear my vision, and supported me. Suddenly, the idea of going back to New York excited me, moreover buying trickets did make me happy! I was unhappy about the fact I was far from everything good and I got nothing over there, but wait a minute, I got new friends! I was going to meet them again and share what had happened in Paris with a small gifts!
Oh, the bag? I didn't buy it. I got the message from the bag, and the owner of the shop seemed already happy enough for my buying. It's good for your health, let's be happy!

C’ est une bonne idée.
ReplyDelete